Re: [O] mis-alignment in org-tables with Tibetan characters

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] mis-alignment in org-tables with Tibetan characters
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 06:35:26 +0100

Hi Steffan

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM, Steffan Iverson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael, that test case you suggest does indeed cause the same spacing
> problem. So this isn't a problem from the vowel stacking in Tibetan,

Such combining characters and and also double width characters may
still remain as separate issues for Org table alignment and maybe the
patches from Eric Abrahamsen are required to resolve one or both.

> because of the type of font it is? Sorry, generally new to Emacs so
> I'm not sure how to move forward with that insight.

Several steps to go with choosing font(s) and probably tweaking
set-fontset-font which I don't have much insight neither.

Regarding the choice of font: Is there any font that is monospaced
even in the Tibetan range at all? What does a "cat" (not "less" or any
other ncurses) of your file look like in different terminal emulators
like xterm, gnome-terminal etc. on different OSes? What does "locale"
from these terminal emulators tell?

Regarding a possible first step with Emacs set-fontset-font: How did
the glyph for INFINITY from the test look like, was this aligned for
you?:

xxxxxxxxxx|

Michael