Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:29:10 +0200

Hi Suvayu,

What a nice work you've done... Some comments...

Suvayu Ali wrote:
> This is the general structure I'm proposing:
>
>   * TODO Subject <timestamp>             :emacs_ver:org_ver:org_module:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :DEBGUGS_ID:  <bug number>
>     :REPORTER:    <Reporter Name>
>     :CC_EMAIL:    <list of emails of interested parties>
>     :END:
>
> I elaborate the ideas below.
>
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:56:50PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
>>
>> Let's check it with an example. For bug 15081, debbugs-gnu returns the
>> following list:
>>
>> ((source . "unknown")
>>  (found_versions "24.3")
>
> Emacs version ends up as a tag:
>
> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>
>>  (done)
>>  (blocks)
>>  (date . 1376383861)
>
> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>   <2013-08-13 Tue>

I'd use the inactive version of the timestamp, that is (for Michael)
[2013-08-13 Tue].

>>  (fixed)
>>  (fixed_versions)
>>  (mergedwith)
>>  (found
>>   (item
>>    (key . 24.3)
>>    (value)))
>>  (unarchived)
>>  (blockedby)
>>  (keywords)
>>  (summary)
>>  (msgid . "<address@hidden>")
>
> An added bonus idea: Gmane has this amazing feature where you can link
> to a message using it's message id.  So a property like: GMANE_URL would
> be awesome.
>
> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>   :END:
>   <2013-08-13 Tue>
>
>>  (id . 15081)
>
> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :DEBGUGS_ID:  15081
>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>   :END:
>   <2013-08-13 Tue>
>
> It would be cool if you could provide a function that uses browse-url to
> direct you to the webpage using DEBGUGS_ID:
>
>   <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15081>

We could get it by adding a new link type, don't we?

>>  (forwarded)
>>  (severity . "normal")
>>  (owner)
>>  (log_modified . 1376383862)
>>  (location . "db-h")
>>  (subject . "24.3; org-crypt: Making epg-context local to  *epg* while
>> let-bound!")
>
> * TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!
> :24.3:org_crypt:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>   :END:
>   <2013-08-13 Tue>
>
> As you see above, it would be great if we could simplify the suject and
> tag the org-module involved (note hyphens are not allowed, they need to
> be transformed to underscore).
>
>>  (originator . "Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>")
>
> * TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!
> :24.3:org_crypt:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
>   :REPORTER:     Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>

I'd maybe use "Creator" or "CreatedBy" (with or without hyphens or underscore)
to make that "framework" less "bug-specific". That way, I guess it could stay
as well as general for common tasks in any project.

BTW, is there a convention for using "ALLCAPS" or "First-letter-cap"?  I mean:
the "time estimate" property is written "Effort", not "EFFORT"; is there a
convention to distinguish between Org "official" built-in properties, and
user-defined ones?  Or is there another rule?  (This question may sound stupid,
but I live conventions, so that all files look the same).

>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>   :END:
>   <2013-08-13 Tue>
>
>>  (last_modified . 1376408720)
>
> Maybe this should go into a property called: LAST_MODIFIED.
>
>>  (pending . "pending")
>
> And this should finally decide the TODO state.  For the moment a
> reasonable mapping would be "pending" -> "TODO".  But would be good to
> have support for "DONE", "WIP", or similar (I'm not familiar with all
> the debbug states :-p)
>
>>  (affects)
>>  (archived)
>>  (tags)
>>  (package "emacs" "org-mode")
>
> I guess this is how you filter out org-mode bugs from the rest.
>
>>  (fixed_date)
>>  (found_date)
>>  (bug_num . 15081))
>>
>> The keys shall be self-explaining. How would a TODO item look like?
>> Note, that these metadata do not contain the corresponding messages
>> yet. debbugs-gnu could retrieve them in a second run; the TODO item
>> shall offer a link to them, inline.
>
> So finally I propose the following for this particular bug.
>
> * TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!
> :24.3:org_crypt:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
>   :REPORTER:     Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>   :END:
>  152 <2013-08-13 Tue>

What's this 152?  A typo?

> However in this example there were no "interested parties".  If you take
> this (non org-mode) bug as an example:
>
>   <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15282>,
>
> the CC_EMAIL property would be: "Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Gregor
> Zattler <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert
> <address@hidden>", and all the contributors to bug 15222 (that would
> be me :-p, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden>).
>
> What do others think?  Is it a good start?

I like your work a lot!

> Overall this looks very promising, I am excited :).

So do I.

Best regards,
  Seb

--