Re: [O] Assistance customizing org-format-latex-options

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Assistance customizing org-format-latex-options
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:38:52 -0500

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18.9.2013, at 05:52, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm running into a similar issue as I once did before:
>> - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/50452
>>
>> When I'm writing a paragraph and have a dollar currency amount, Org's
>> footnote functionality (e.g. =C-x f=) does not work in the region.
>>
>> The suggestion was to remove "$" from org-format-latex-options.
>>
>> I've not customized a variable with many "sub-options." Can someone
>> give me an example of how to directly customize just the :matchers
>> portion of that variable in .emacs? I prefer to set options directly
>> vs. having a jumbled list of customizations in custom-set-variables.
>>
>> I searched around and found this:
>> -
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11272236/how-to-make-formule-bigger-in-org-mode-of-emacs
>>
>> It gives instructions on setting the :scale portion, which I tried to
>> adapt to :matchers like this:
>>
>> (setq org-format-latex-options (plist-put org-format-latex-options
>> :matchers ("begin" "$1" "$$" "\\(" "\\[")))
>>
>> As well as this:
>>
>> (setq org-format-latex-options (plist-put org-format-latex-options
>> :matchers "("begin" "$1" "$$" "\\(" "\\[")"))
>
> Or, if you want to do it like this:
>
> (setq org-format-latex-options
>       (plist-put org-format-latex-options
>        :matchers '("begin" "$1" "$$" "\\(" "\\[")))
>
> Quoting a list is done with a single ' before the opening parenthesis.
> Not by enclosing it in "...".

Fantastic and exactly what I was looking for! I realize I'm pretty
horrible at following through on my Worg aspirations... but perhaps I
can file this and some other things like this to help others with
customization of variables. Some of these syntax things seem to appear
with reasonable frequency and cause us non-elispers definite
confusion. I could see a page on setting .emacs options as helpful.
Come to think of it, I probably should have googled for more general
Emacs customization information.

Anyway, many thanks for the quick response and assistance!

John