Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:31:19 +0200

Hi Itai,

address@hidden writes:

> Hi all
>
> I have been using dropbox since i started using orgmode a few weeks ago
> (yeah im a neewb :)), which kinda works but i find it very annoying as it
> keeps creating conflicted copies, isnt reliable on my Linux main machine
> etc etc..
> I was wondering what you guys do for syncing org files between PC's, Os's,
> devices (android etc)..
>
> Best
>
> Itai

I use a combination of dropbox (between the computers ---all running Linux) and
version control, and for syncing with Android I use mobile org.

With Dropbox I've had a some "conflicted copy" issues; this is annoying (and is
the sort of thing that would have been solved much more easily with version
control) but happens very rarely. What I like about this is that my frequent
changes in org files get propagated without the need for an explicit version
control command.

However, for safety and for tracking, I run a nightly job with bazaar where I
commit all changes (this is done in only one of the machines, of course). This
has actually proven extremely useful when, by mistake, I have deleted a complete
subtree and only realized maybe a month later.

HTH,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte