Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 10:57:36 +0200

Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:
> I used to use Dropbox and git. However, as you have found I often got
> "Conflicted Files". This is a particular problem if it happens in your
> .git folder, because it can lead to a corrupt git repo. Even though I
> have a remote git repo, this still lead to lots of wasted time trying
> to sort out the mess.

I use Dropbox+git with colleagues : Dropbox synchronizes the data almost
real time, whereas git tracks the changes. I commit manually when I see
meaningful changes. Wrt the .git directory, I simply ask Dropbox to
ignore it [on command line, "dropbox exclude add Dropbox/foo/bar/.git"
-- which can be done even before initializing the git repo in
Dropbox/foo/bar]

Btw I know that Dropbox has "change tracking" facilities too but I
dislike the UI (via a website). Also, I usually keep a local clone of my
"Dropbox repositories" (which are cheap with git, thanks to hard links)
that I can use to make temprorary checkout of older revisions without my
colleages getting hundreds of file "updates". For the same reason I
(almost) don't use branches in these repos, since switching branches is
not Dropbox-friendly.

--
Nico.