Re: [O] Tables for attendance lists - A problem understanding TBLFM?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Tables for attendance lists - A problem understanding TBLFM?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:04:49 +0200

Hi Bastien

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is worth a small compatibility change: For a range with only empty
>> fields it is now possible and necessary to choose different behaviors
>> of vmean by adding the format specifiers E and/or N.
>
> I'll add this in the release notes.

The wording of my paragraph quoted above is unfortunate, sorry. It is
more that I made fail what is the same as a division by 0 instead of
silently using 0 as the result for 0/0. Now one is forced to think
about the mean value of an empty vector/list (it is not defined) and
has to check for empty vector/list or consider EN, all explained with
examples for Calc vmean in the manual now. I don't think such a detail
is worth mentioning in the release notes.

But in the release notes I would generally, not particularly because
of the above, write:

If empty fields are of interest it is recommended to reread the
section "3.5.2 Formula syntax for Calc" of the manual because the
description for the mode strings has been clarified and new examples
have been added towards the end.

> Maybe you could add a footnote in the manual for this?

Do the attached patches clarify what you had in mind?

And to repeat myself: I see the directory "testing" as part of the
doc, in this case `test-org-table/empty-field'. ;-)

Michael