Re: [O] phone links...

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [O] phone links...
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 07:47:52 -0500

Michael Strey wrote:
> Robert,
>
> On Do, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:38:48 -0500, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I will be happy to include this into contrib (and do the relevant
>> assignment) at any time when people think that it is sufficiently ready
>> to go.  I have been testing it in contrib/ in a testing branch in my git
>> repo.
>
> What about integrating these few functions into org-contacts?

I am very reluctant to do this.

I don't use org-contacts at all, but I *do* like to have phone numbers
in my TODO items.

I don't believe a person should have to use org contacts in order to
permit themselves to use phone links.

I think we can get an appropriate combination by having org-phone be
free-standing, and simply let the org-contacts user adopt them if s/he
likes.

Related question:  if the org-contact entries are *known* to be phone
numbers (keyed by the field), why not automagically treat those values
as phone numbers, instead of requiring them to be phone links (which add
cruft to the files)?  And similarly for EMAIL.

I.e., why not simply have:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* Surname, Name
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EMAIL:    address@hidden
  :PHONE:    +49 351 4129535; +49 176 6626196
  :END:
#+END_SRC
?

But as a non-org-contacts user, my opinion is obviously not so important
here...