Re: [O] Nice blog post - Org-mode in Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil

From: Gareth Smith
Subject: Re: [O] Nice blog post - Org-mode in Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:28:10 +0100

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
> 2. Oh that's easy to solve, use maildirs (sync with OfflineIMAP).  That
>    does not work well because Gnus uses its own flags (an example where
>    Gnus actually breaks standards)!  There are some hacks around that
>    out in the wild, so let's let it slide.
> 3. Gnus stores some meta information/cache for maildirs in a .nnmaildir
>    folder *inside* the maildir directory tree!
>      maildir
>      ├── .nnmaildir
>      ├── cur
>      ├── new
>      └── tmp
>    I do not know how, but this supposed meta information or cache takes
>    about 2/3 of disk space as the original maildir!  Obviously that is a
>    problem for large mailboxes.

FWIW, I use offlineimap this way, but rather than pointing gnus directly
at my local maildir, I use dovecot (a small local IMAP server) as an
intermediary. This method is documented here:

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

Note the update at the end, since dovecot's command-line interface has
changed since the article was first written. I actually use:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "Mail"
                                  (nnimap-shell-program
                                   "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -c ~/.dovecotrc")
                                  (nnimap-stream shell)))

So far, my emacs (which contains everything I do except Firefox) has
remained responsive, and my mailstore still makes sense to K9 when I'm
mobile.