Re: [O] Nice blog post - Org-mode in Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Nice blog post - Org-mode in Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:41:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:48:50AM -0400, François Pinard wrote:
> If I write "sad to say", this is because Gnus coupled me more intimately
> with Emacs, while I tried hard to run away of it, to recover some sanity.

[...]

> In the meantime, despite I found some MUAs quite impressive, I knew deep
> down that none really match Gnus.

<rant/>
For me it is the other way around.  I want to couple with Emacs more
closely, but Gnus prevents me from doing so.  A few gripes follow.

1. Emacs is single threaded, so a network interruption while reading my
   email over IMAP means my emacs server is stuck!
2. Oh that's easy to solve, use maildirs (sync with OfflineIMAP).  That
   does not work well because Gnus uses its own flags (an example where
   Gnus actually breaks standards)!  There are some hacks around that
   out in the wild, so let's let it slide.
3. Gnus stores some meta information/cache for maildirs in a .nnmaildir
   folder *inside* the maildir directory tree!
     maildir
     ├── .nnmaildir
     ├── cur
     ├── new
     └── tmp
   I do not know how, but this supposed meta information or cache takes
   about 2/3 of disk space as the original maildir!  Obviously that is a
   problem for large mailboxes.

Apart from this I often notice broken threads from posters using Gnus,
not sure if Gnus or the user is to blame there.
</rant>

I use mutt-kz (mutt with notmuch integration) and emacsclient.  With
support for linking using org-notmuch, I couldn't be happier.

--
Suvayu