Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:15:01 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

>> I think that if we ever implement a bibliography/citations handlers,
>> they should be first class objects in Org syntax (like footnotes).
>> Overloading link syntax would, IMO, be wrong in that case.
>
> Do you have a proposal for how this syntax would look?  You certainly
> know the parser very well, so you probably have an idea of what will
> work and not conflict with other things.  I think minimally we need
> to include info on:
> - how to look up the citation (DOI, arXiv id, in a bibtex file, ...)
> - how to display/export the citation (parens, footnote, in-text, ...)
> - a list of properties (incl. at least pre- and post-note)
> - (of course) the citation key
>
> So maybe:
>
> [cite:lookup-type:display-type:key:prop1=val1,prop2=val2]

I favor [cite:PROPERTIES] over [[cite:PROPERTIES]], because the latter
(link syntax) implies a (optional) description part. I don't think
a description is ever meaningful in citations.

Also, as I already mentioned, link syntax is already overloaded: there
are many types of links and the link transcoder function in export
back-ends is generally one of the most complicated to write (along with
tables).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou