Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:27:28 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This is a prime example of how _not_ to do this, IMHO.  The file
>>> protocol is an established protocol that you shouldn't bolt any extra
>>> parameters on.
>>
>> I very much agree.  The current "hacks" using links are annoying and
>> ugly, and if we were to do citations properly in Org—and I think we
>> should—it should NOT be using links (as Nicolas also pointed out).
>> It's a hack and shouldn't be made official.
>>
>> In my book it would seem 'natural' to strive towards the following:
>>
>>   1. It should be Bibtex-based.  I.e. Bibtex should be the 'database'
>>      or storage for citation information.  It may be stored in
>>      Org-Bibtex-whatever, but Bibtex should be the natural base.
>>   2. Citation selection should be possible via Reftex.
>>   3. It should look nice in the buffer.  For instance, with the
>>      current link hacks I am shown the pre or post notes in place of
>>      the citation.  Ideally, it should be able to specify a
>>      reftex-cite-format string on how to display stuff in the buffer.
>>      Notes should be viewable in an non-disturbing way.
>>      Ideally, I would want to see something like:
>>        (POSTFIX, Jensen, 1906, SUFFIX)
>>      or
>>        Jensen (POSTFIX, 1906, SUFFIX)
>>      (If my memory serves me correctly this is how BibLatex places
>>      notes).
>>  (4. If we are to adopt LaTeX terminology we should adopt the
>>      terminology of BibLatex as opposed to Natbib).
>
> Given that 1., 2., and 4. are possible with "link hacks" doesn't this
> leave just 3. in need of solution?  If the current link syntax would
> take another function used to display the link, then wouldn't that solve
> 3.?

Indeed, but perhaps there is a better possible syntax.  With Reftex
the the link-way is OK, but I still think that we should think about
whether there is a "Better Way"ᵀᴹ if Org was to add it officially.

There are some recent projects adding citation support for higher
level languages such as:

   1. https://github.com/cboettig/knitcitations
   2. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/kcite/

–Rasmus