Re: [O] [ANN] outorg.el -- reverse Org-Babel

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] outorg.el -- reverse Org-Babel
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:45:10 +0100

François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

> poporg has many flaws, and is surely not up to the quality of Org.
> Nevertheless, I much use it even if imperfect, while knowing it should
> be improved in many ways.

same here on the outorg site, although I'm pretty sure its more
alpha-stage.

but since it is based on such a simple idea (-> design outline-regexp
and outline-level in a way that applying 'comment-region' and
'uncomment-region' to each line does the conversion job between Org and
whatever programming-language syntax) I hope a few bug-fixes and
improvements will move it closer towards version 1.0.

> If we could make something better out of two imperfections, it could be
> worth trying.  If only I had more time!  Sigh!

after a quick look at your code I would say that outorg and poporg are
very different beasts - the effort to merge them would probably be much
higher than to bring them both (independently) to a stable usable state.

I will do some major changes motivated by this threat, maybe afterwards
it easier to see where the similarities and where the differences are.

--
cheers,
Thorsten