Re: [O] [ANN] outorg.el -- reverse Org-Babel

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] outorg.el -- reverse Org-Babel
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 16:38:48 -0700

Hi Thorsten,

The idea is to allow the option of keeping your notes in your agenda
files, so that you can do everything Org does.  If you only keep them
in comments, you can't do searches, for example.

To do this, you put an ID in the comments.  Then you have a command
that will take you to the entry with that ID in your agenda files.
The same command -- e.g. C-c ' -- will take you back to the correct
place in the source file.  If you are in the source file, it will
search for the closest ID.

So you can say this:

  (let ((foo bar))
    ;; $[id ...]
    (something-to-be-documented

and then in your Org files you have

  * my elisp notes
  ** something
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID: ...
  :END:

  my notes

I don't know how dynamic blocks would fit into that.

This puts elisp in elisp and Org in Org.

I like your idea too and consider this to be just an optional feature.

Samuel

On 2/12/13, Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One suggestion: what about optionally allowing you to keep your Org
>> notes in Org?  That would allow all Org features.
>>
>> You'd do it by putting a specially-formatted Org ID in the comment,
>> and then you have a key that bounces back and forth.
>>
>>   ;;; $[id 123451243512345]
>>
>> Then in Org you have that ID as a property.
>>
>> That way you can choose whether to have your documentation in the
>> source file using Org syntax or in Org.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand this, but working with 'org-id' would
> definitely have been another option. Maybe even in combination with
> dynamic blocks?
>
> --
> cheers,
> Thorsten

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.