Re: [O] ...

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] ...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:32:29 +0100

On 31 jan. 2013, at 14:32, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> thanks a lot for the very clear explanations.
>
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The difference is only the repeated concatenation operation, and not the
>> recompilation.  I always thought that this would work differently, and that
>> is why a lot of regexps get constructed and then stored in variables or
>> constants.  Of course this is also a good practice for readable and
>> maintainable code, but the impact on efficiency is not as big as I used to
>> think.  So when I saw Christoher's initial patch, I thought a function to
>> create
>> org-ooutline-regexp-bol would be a large burden in speed - but it now seems
>> that it would only be a minor impact.
>
> That was my assumption too... hence my reaction to Christopher's
> patch.
>
> It now makes sense -- I'll ask for confirmation on the emacs-devel as
> suggested by Christopher.
>
>> Still, I think making a local variable in buffers with
>> org-struct-mode is also a good way to get the functionality
>> Christopher wants.
>
> Mh... here I'm not sure to understand what you suggest.
> Isn't the whole point of Christopher's patch to rely on
> a buffer local value of org-outline-regexp?  I surely miss
> something.

Not really, I am not particulrly clear here.

Christopher proposes to do this:

   ;; Local Variables:
   ;; eval: (orgstruct-mode 1)
   ;; org-outline-regexp: ";;; \\*+"
   ;; End:

I was just thinking, if you are setting up two local variables, you could set
up three and include org-outline-regexp-bol as well.  Or, you could just set up
`org-outline-regexp', and make the function org-struct-mode set up the other
two as additional local variables.  This would simplify things.  In fact, I
think this would make for a more compact and better patch, Christopher, what do
you think?

- Carsten