Re: [O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:16:43 -0500

Neil Best <address@hidden> wrote:

> I run Macport's Emacs and ELPA's Org on my Mac but my data lives in a
> Red Hat environment.  I thought I could edit locally and compute
> remotely but there seems to be a problem with temp files for executing
> source blocks.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /midway:~ echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname`
> in `pwd`" #+END_SRC
>
> Results are empty and in the message buffers appears this:
>
> executing Sh code block...  Tramp: Opening connection for midway using
> ssh...
>
> Opening connection for midway using ssh... \ Tramp: Opening connection
> for midway using ssh...done Tramp: Encoding region using function
> `base64-encode-region'...done Tramp: Decoding region into remote file
> /ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN...done
> byte-code: Couldn't write region to
> `/ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN',
> decode using `base64 -d -i >%s' failed
>
> I suspect this has something to do with how Emacs asks OSX for temp
> file names.  Can anyone confirm this?  Is there a work-around?

It may be that the fix I pointed to in the previous email will change
this (who knows? it may even fix it :-) ) But there is one additional
point that you might want to check.

It looks as if you are creating temp files under /var/folders/2y on the
remote: are you sure that a) the structure exists and b) permissions are
set correctly?

Do you have the /var/folders/2y structure on the local host or only on
the remote? If only on the remote and the source block is running
locally (because of the funcall bug), that would sort-of explain this
behavior.

Nick