Re: [O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:33:25 -0500

Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Neil Best <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I run Macport's Emacs and ELPA's Org on my Mac but my data lives in a
> > Red Hat environment.  I thought I could edit locally and compute
> > remotely but there seems to be a problem with temp files for executing
> > source blocks.
> >
> > #+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /midway:~ echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname`
> > in `pwd`" #+END_SRC
> >
> > Results are empty and in the message buffers appears this:
> >
> > executing Sh code block...  Tramp: Opening connection for midway using
> > ssh...
> >
> > Opening connection for midway using ssh... \ Tramp: Opening connection
> > for midway using ssh...done Tramp: Encoding region using function
> > `base64-encode-region'...done Tramp: Decoding region into remote file
> > /ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN...done
> > byte-code: Couldn't write region to
> > `/ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN',
> > decode using `base64 -d -i >%s' failed
>
> Which version of Tramp are you using? You find it by "C-h v tramp-version".
> I remember a problem with remote temporary directories, fixed in Tramp 2.2.6.
>
> Btw, I don't use org. For local tests, what shall I apply in order to
> execute the code in #+BEGIN_SRC  ... #+END_SRC?

See

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/62963

It was a weird setting of the variable ``temporary-file-directory'' in
Neil's Macport setup, plus the assumption by tramp that that setting was
valid for the remote - that turned out to be a bad assumption. Not sure
it's worth it for tramp to provide a way to customize that, but that's
your decision :-) AFAIAC, /tmp should be a universal standard.

Nick