Re: [O] [ANN] Editable HTML export of Org-mode files

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Editable HTML export of Org-mode files
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:17:47 -0600

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 14 2012, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently put together a web server which runs in Emacs and exports
>> local Org-mode files to HTML in such a way that they may be edited from
>> within a web browser with the edits saved to local files on disk.  The
>> code is available from github.
>>
>>          repository ---- https://github.com/eschulte/org-ehtml
>>           README ------- http://eschulte.github.com/org-ehtml
>>
>> This is a very thin Emacs Lisp and JavaScript wrapper around Nic
>> Ferrier's elnode Emacs web server [1], and Nicolas Goaziou's structured
>> Org-mode file representation and export engine.  It requires Emacs 24
>> and the development versions of both Org-mode and elnode.
>>
>> The code is fairly new so there are likely some kinks to be worked out
>> (backup your files before editing them with this web-server), but the
>> implementation is very simple and should be easy to modify.  See the
>> README for information on how to make use of elnode's authentication
>> system, or how to have web edits automatically committed to a local
>> version control system.
>
> I gave this a very brief whirl, with the dev versions of emacs, org,
> elnode, and org-ehtml, and running the test server on simple.org as
> described in the README. Every time I edited a block and clicked "save",
> it just deleted the whole block. I got these errors in
> ~/.elnodelogs/elnode-error:

I'm not sure what could be causing this problem.  Did the test suite run
successfully for you?  I'm betting it did if the problem didn't arise
until you POSTed save data.  Was the block deleted from the Org-mode
file on disk, or just from the web page?  What happens when you refresh
the web page after an edit?

> I'd be happy to mess with this further if it would be helpful.

This would be very helpful as I can't reproduce the problem locally.

Please re-run with emacs -Q using the attached batch.el ELisp file.
Instructions for re-running are included in the top of the file.  This
will re-run on your system with a minimal configuration, and will stifle
the elnode warning (which are uniformly unhelpful).

When I run this locally, I get the following output in my *Messages*
buffer.

,----[*Messages*]
| ---------------------start-relevant-output---------------------
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/elnode-error [3 times]
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/org-ehtml
| OVERVIEW
| Saving file /home/eschulte/.emacs.d/src/org-ehtml/test/examples/simple.html...
| Wrote /home/eschulte/.emacs.d/src/org-ehtml/test/examples/simple.html
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/elnode-error [13 times]
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/org-ehtml
| Saving file /home/eschulte/.emacs.d/src/org-ehtml/test/examples/simple.org...
| Wrote /home/eschulte/.emacs.d/src/org-ehtml/test/examples/simple.org
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/elnode-error
| Saving file /tmp/org-11503Cdz...
| Wrote /tmp/org-11503Cdz
| OVERVIEW
| Exporting... [2 times]
| HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
| Added to /home/eschulte/.elnodelogs/elnode-error [5 times]
`----

If this doesn't solve the problem I can send a modified version of the
attached batch.el file which will include more debug output.

Thanks,

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte