Re: [O] Smart Quotes Exporting

From: Mark E. Shoulson
Subject: Re: [O] Smart Quotes Exporting
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 22:14:13 -0400

Update on the smart-quotes patch. Supports the odt exporter now too, which I think covers all the current major "new" exporters for which it is relevant (adding smart quotes to ASCII export is a contradiction in terms; should it be in the "publish" exporter? It didn't look like it to me).

Added an options keyword, '"' (that is, the double-quote mark) to select smart quotes on/off, and a defcustom for customizing your default. Set the default default [sic] to nil, though actually it might be reasonable to set it to t. Slight touch-up to the regexps since last time, but they will definitely be subject to a lot of fine-tuning as more special cases are found that break them and ways to fix it are found (the close-quote still breaks on one of "/a/." or "/a./")

It's pretty good on the whole, though, usually guesses right. I know there's some work being done on the odt exporter; hope this fits in well with it.

How does it look to you?

~mark