Re: [O] Smart Quotes Exporting

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Smart Quotes Exporting
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:21:15 +0200

Hello,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Update on the smart-quotes patch.  Supports the odt exporter now too,
> which I think covers all the current major "new" exporters for which
> it is relevant (adding smart quotes to ASCII export is a contradiction
> in terms;

ASCII exporter also handle UTF-8. So it's good to have there too.

> should it be in the "publish" exporter?  It didn't look like it to
> me).

No.

> Added an options keyword, '"' (that is, the double-quote mark) to
> select smart quotes on/off, and a defcustom for customizing your
> default.  Set the default default [sic] to nil, though actually it
> might be reasonable to set it to t.  Slight touch-up to the regexps
> since last time, but they will definitely be subject to a lot of
> fine-tuning as more special cases are found that break them and ways
> to fix it are found (the close-quote still breaks on one of "/a/." or
> "/a./")

Again, using regexps on plain text objects is a wrong approach, as you
need a better understanding of the whole paragraph structure to
properly. I already suggested a possible solution, is there anything
wrong with it?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou