Re: [O] Capitalisation and good taste ?

From: Sankalp
Subject: Re: [O] Capitalisation and good taste ?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 05:11:35 +0530

2012/1/11 Eric S Fraga <address@hidden>
address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

[...]

> Should I say, I notice a strong correlation between rotten software and
> the lack of attention to such details.  I'm not saying that avoiding
> trailing white space is a guarantee of good software.  But I'm saying
> that people unwilling to pay attention to details are not prone to pay
> attention for a lot of other things, which is not good for software.

What is interesting, to me, is that some of these details come down to
style preferences *and* that these preferences can change dramatically
over time.  I have been programming for 35+ years and it's scary to see
how my preferences have changed, sometimes cycling several times with a
period of 5 or more years!

I am thinking especially about things like indentation rules, blank
lines, multi-line versus single line comments, variable names, case
(cf. this thread), etc.  Of course, the language in use affects the
choices available but there are always choices, none of which is
automatically and permanently correct.

cheers,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.73.gd2b3d)

Thanks for the awesome Donald Knuth Video François, a must watch for folks who love TeX and its wrappers.

Don't have much to say for the Caps convention, except that the criterion suggested by Bastien seems fair enough.

Regards,
Sankalp