Re: [O] The reportmode report does not count the running clock

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] The reportmode report does not count the running clock
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:33:43 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi François,

>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Note that there is a million variables which are not referred to
>>> in the manual - simply too many to mention them all.
>> A million?  You *always* exaggerate! :-)

> Well, I counted more than 1070 variables...  describing 5 of them
> per page would take 214 pages.  Not something I'd like to read :)

That's why I suggested an appendix.  We search in them, more than we
really read them.  On the other hand, it would considerably augment the
weight of a printed manual, and so, be more harmful to our forests.

> Wrt documentation, Emacs is its own reference, by letting you access
> everything with C-h v org-*.

Emacs has impressive ways to offer its own documentation.  Still a bit
uneasy to use C-h v (or C-h f) on everything.  M-x apropos org- RET is
more handy and searchable, yet the documentation is likely limited to
the first line of each docstring (so at least this convention for a
complete sentence in the first line of a docstring).

> Another point: there is a lot to do to improve the current docstrings
> and the manual.  This is a matter of 1) pulling from git, 2) modifying
> the file, 3) run `C-x v =' in the buffer, 4) send the patch.  [...]
> If you're interested in improving this, please go ahead, I'd be
> interested in getting something working along these lines.

Oh, the problem is surely not the lack of interest, but the sore lack of
free hours in a week, and the quantity of ways to occupy those rare
hours already (something Org mode is tremendously helpful at organizing,
by the way).  Surely that given enough free time, I would just love to
contribute.  The truth is that I can only offer tiny crumbs.  In any
case, I'm saving your message and notes (who knows the future!).

François