Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org

From: Viktor Rosenfeld
Subject: Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:54:04 +0100

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:

> > - The old screenshot conveyed what org-mode was all about. Outlining
> >   and project planning. The new screenshots take a lot longer to load
> >   and even if you click on them, their content is not always
> >   accessible.
>
> I agree.  Feel free to contribute to Worg with relevant screenshots
> that we can select as "featured on the index page."  Also add title
> and caption for these screenshots.

I think the old screenshot was good enough. A link beneath it to the
screenshot page on Worg would be useful.

> > - I don't like this particular type writer font. On a Mac it's very thin
> >   compared to the serifless font that makes up the normal text. But
> >   that's just aesthetics.
> >
> > - I don't like the fixed top bar with the Org-Mode motto and the random
> >   quote.  It takes up about 20% of vertical screen space of my laptop. A
> >   complete waste in my view. The black background also does not cover
> >   the text behind it -- one or two pixel of the text are visible above
> >   the bar.
>
> Can you make an alternate .css with non-fixed top bar and a better font?

Maybe on the weekend, but I can't promise anything.

> > - The old homepage had all the easily accessible information on one
> >   page. So you could go to the homepage, search for "manual" or "mailing
> >   list" and go on from there. (I sometimes work like that.) The new
> >   homepage only contains screenshots (that don't convey a lot of
> >   meaningful information) and the org-mode mission statement. Useful
> >   information is available but the links are somewhat hidden in the
> >   description of what org is about and some are hard to find. (E.g. the
> >   manual is linked with the text "documented extensively".) I believe
> >   that people quickly scan web pages for relevant information and the
> >   current format makes that hard.
>
> I somehow agree that it was good to have everything in one page, but I
> don't think that page was *that* readable.  In any case, you can always
> pull the website (it's just a git repository) and you have everything
> in "one directory".

I agree that the old page wasn't very readable as it did contain a lot
of information. I just don't feel that the new layout is better, on the
contrary.

Cheers,
Viktor