Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org

From: Viktor Rosenfeld
Subject: Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:50:15 +0100

Hi,

I honestly liked the old one better. Some of my concrete criticism are:

- The old screenshot conveyed what org-mode was all about. Outlining
  and project planning. The new screenshots take a lot longer to load
  and even if you click on them, their content is not always accessible.

- I don't like this particular type writer font. On a Mac it's very thin
  compared to the serifless font that makes up the normal text. But
  that's just aesthetics.

- I don't like the fixed top bar with the Org-Mode motto and the random
  quote.  It takes up about 20% of vertical screen space of my laptop. A
  complete waste in my view. The black background also does not cover
  the text behind it -- one or two pixel of the text are visible above
  the bar.

- The old homepage had all the easily accessible information on one
  page. So you could go to the homepage, search for "manual" or "mailing
  list" and go on from there. (I sometimes work like that.) The new
  homepage only contains screenshots (that don't convey a lot of
  meaningful information) and the org-mode mission statement. Useful
  information is available but the links are somewhat hidden in the
  description of what org is about and some are hard to find. (E.g. the
  manual is linked with the text "documented extensively".) I believe
  that people quickly scan web pages for relevant information and the
  current format makes that hard.

Cheers,
Viktor