Re: [O] custom IDs not exported

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] custom IDs not exported
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:38:54 +0530

> Oh, I thought I had run out on my quota: I do have a patch that I can
> send in, I just don't want to cause headaches (particularly to you)
> down the line. I'll add a Changelog, mark it as a TINYCHANGE and send it in -
> is that OK?

AFAIK, there is fair amount of audit of ChangeLogs that is done when
anything - that includes Org - goes in to Emacs proper.

Also considering FSF gives primacy to copyright assignment & disclaimer
in *paper format* and the mere existence of support machinery around it
- a copyright clerk etc etc - one needs to take good amount of care to
make sure that the *sum total* (it is sum total right?) of TINYCHANGES
don't add up to no more than palmful.

If one cannot sum up the lines of changes one has submitted one should
err on the conservative side and not submit a patch.

I wouldn't record this dissent note if Org were a one-off project. It is
part of a much greater project - a project which gives primacy not to
*convenience* but to a certain *principle*.

If Nick or someone else checks in some change, someone raises a red flag
and questions the copyright (or whatver) the said code will be pulled
out from Emacs inconveniencing a whole bunch of users. More importantly
it will be shameful for Emacs project.

We may not do great deeds ourselves but we can do our bit to lend a hand
to someone that stands for something.

Jambunathan K.