Re: [O] custom IDs not exported

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] custom IDs not exported
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:18:09 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Oh, I thought I had run out on my quota: I do have a patch that I can
> > send in, I just don't want to cause headaches (particularly to you)
> > down the line. I'll add a Changelog, mark it as a TINYCHANGE and send it in
> > -
> > is that OK?
>
> AFAIK, there is fair amount of audit of ChangeLogs that is done when
> anything - that includes Org - goes in to Emacs proper.
>
> Also considering FSF gives primacy to copyright assignment & disclaimer
> in *paper format* and the mere existence of support machinery around it
> - a copyright clerk etc etc - one needs to take good amount of care to
> make sure that the *sum total* (it is sum total right?) of TINYCHANGES
> don't add up to no more than palmful.

That's what I vaguely remembered, and that's why I thought my quota has
run out.  I think I will *not* be sending the patch after all. Sten,
are you up to doing the work?

> If one cannot sum up the lines of changes one has submitted one should
> err on the conservative side and not submit a patch.
>
> I wouldn't record this dissent note if Org were a one-off project. It is
> part of a much greater project - a project which gives primacy not to
> *convenience* but to a certain *principle*.
>
> If Nick or someone else checks in some change, someone raises a red flag
> and questions the copyright (or whatver) the said code will be pulled
> out from Emacs inconveniencing a whole bunch of users. More importantly
> it will be shameful for Emacs project.
>
> We may not do great deeds ourselves but we can do our bit to lend a hand
> to someone that stands for something.

Not sure I follow completely, but I will continue trying to cajole others
to provide the actual patches and limit myself to providing guidance if
necessary.

Nick