Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:26:31 +0200

I disagree with Tom on [1]: it should clearly be "srcname", in analogy
to #+tblname - and also so I don't have to change my files :-} (but see
my question about tblname below).

I'll have to change my files, either way. The price one pays for inconsistency. But as I've recently learned from Carsten, it should be a one-liner in Perl. :-)

For the sake of analogy, I'll cast my vote for SRCNAME, even if SOURCE is more aesthetically pleasing.

I agree on [2] "call".

+1

I'm confused by [3] so I will say nothing for now, except to ask some
questions: are we talking about what a human would use to label a piece
of data for consumption by a block (including perhaps the future
possibilities of lists and paragraphs that Tom brought up)? what babel
would use to label a results block (possibly so that it could be
consumed by another block in a chain)? both? would that mean
that #+tblname would go the way of the dodo and that tables would be
labelled with #+data (or #+object or whatever else we come up with)?

+1 (Confused, too)

I wasn't even aware of #+DATA. Does it do anything TBLNAME and SRCNAME don't?

A reason to keep TBLNAME is that it's also used by the spreadsheet remote references. If Babel looked for DATA instead, a table that is both a remote reference for another spreadsheet and a data source for a src block would need both TBLNAME and DATA, which seems redundant.

As for labeling lists and paragraphs, I recall from the list that Nicolas Goaziou is working on a generalized way to set captions, labels and attributes for various kinds of Org block, as is possible now for tables and images. I thought that sounded promising. I don't know if he planned for block names, too (currently we have tblname but no imgname), but that could make sense. In which case it might be a good idea to coordinate.