Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords

From: Daniel Bausch
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:20:26 +0200

Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2011, 21:10:27 schrieb Thomas S. Dye:

> >> +1 (Confused, too)
> >
> > well, I guess it is good that this discussion has begun if only to clear
> > up this lingering uncertainty.
> >
> >> I wasn't even aware of #+DATA. Does it do anything TBLNAME and SRCNAME
> >> don't?
> >
> > from the prospective of code blocks it is exactly synonymous with
> > tblname.  Srcname is different in that it labels code blocks.
> >
> >> A reason to keep TBLNAME is that it's also used by the spreadsheet
> >> remote references. If Babel looked for DATA instead, a table that is
> >> both a remote reference for another spreadsheet and a data source for
> >> a src block would need both TBLNAME and DATA, which seems redundant.
> >
> > agreed, I'm thinking that tblname will at least remain an option no
> > matter what decision is made.
> >
> >> As for labeling lists and paragraphs, I recall from the list that
> >> Nicolas Goaziou is working on a generalized way to set captions,
> >> labels and attributes for various kinds of Org block, as is possible
> >> now for tables and images. I thought that sounded promising. I don't
> >> know if he planned for block names, too (currently we have tblname but
> >> no imgname), but that could make sense. In which case it might be a
> >> good idea to coordinate.
> >
> > Agreed, I was not aware of this work.  Thanks for sharing.  In this vein
> > I would like to voice my desire to be able to add captions to code
> > blocks, the lack of this feature has bitten me in the past.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> For LaTeX export, the listings package has support for code block
> captions.

Not in org AFAIK, org only supports these for my use cases not very useful
"function name = " exports.  I patched org to produce real captions instead,
but my changes are not that well tested and required some changes in the
central export logic.  If there is interest I could share what I have so far.
The code quality is a mess, as I do not really know elisp.

Daniel