Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:42:28 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> * !TODO This would be an inline task, not a headline
>>
>> I've no clear cut opinion on this right now. Maybe yes, maybe not.
>> Though, there are differences between inline tasks and headlines:
>
> I'm talking about the way they _look_.  So many asterisks looks
> cumbersome to mee, and I'd favor a non-intrusive syntax like the
> one proposed above.

In my experience, most of the asterisks are made invisible by
org-hide-face. E.g.,

*            ** TODO A task
                Some notes about the task that are not part of the text.
*            ** END

> My question was: what is the rationale behind using so many asterisks?
>
> I can think of three things:
>
> 1. people want inline tasks with possibly no TODO keyword

This is often how I use them --- to insert a "drawer" of notes that is
visible but will not be exported.

Best,
Matt