Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:20:27 +0200

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

>> * !TODO This would be an inline task, not a headline
>
> I've no clear cut opinion on this right now. Maybe yes, maybe not.

:)

> Though, there are differences between inline tasks and headlines:

Yep, I know the differences.

I'm talking about the way they _look_.  So many asterisks looks
cumbersome to mee, and I'd favor a non-intrusive syntax like the
one proposed above.

My question was: what is the rationale behind using so many asterisks?

I can think of three things:

1. people want inline tasks with possibly no TODO keyword
2. people prefer to detect them *very easily*
3. changing the syntax of inline tasks from changing todos
   (like !TODO) is too complicated code-wise

My proposal is this:

- enforce the use of TODO keywords in inline tasks (wrt 1)
- make a special face for inline tasks (wrt 2)

> Your proposition would be (very) nice when we don't have to link a
> note to the task.

My change would affect the content you can add to inline tasks and
the way they are treated by exporters.

> All such questions certainly merit more attention.

Sure -- thanks for your input!

--
 Bastien