Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode for Research and Notetaking
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:20:09 +0200

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:
>>> * !TODO This would be an inline task, not a headline
>>
>> I've no clear cut opinion on this right now. Maybe yes, maybe not.
>
> :)
>
>> Though, there are differences between inline tasks and headlines:
>
> Yep, I know the differences.

Not intended to you in particular, just to put context around my answer!

> I'm talking about the way they _look_.  So many asterisks looks
> cumbersome to mee, and I'd favor a non-intrusive syntax like the
> one proposed above.
>
> My question was: what is the rationale behind using so many asterisks?

That's right there are a lot of them...

> I can think of three things:
>
> 1. people want inline tasks with possibly no TODO keyword

Of course, this is needed as well. Or maybe this is a wrong use of them: to
make things outstand as notes in the produced PDF (with todonotes package, in
my case, for the inline "tasks" -- or "notes" then).

> 2. people prefer to detect them *very easily*

Yes, for sure.

> 3. changing the syntax of inline tasks from changing todos
>    (like !TODO) is too complicated code-wise

Dunno.

> My proposal is this:
>
> - enforce the use of TODO keywords in inline tasks (wrt 1)

I'm divided about this, as you can see. Maybe, though, I have to respect the
fact that inline tasks are supposed to be _tasks_ which are inlined.

> - make a special face for inline tasks (wrt 2)

You see we're not far from it, and what I typically use inline tasks for...

http://i.imgur.com/rrI6Q.png

>> Your proposition would be (very) nice when we don't have to link a
>> note to the task.
>
> My change would affect the content you can add to inline tasks and
> the way they are treated by exporters.
>
>> All such questions certainly merit more attention.
>
> Sure -- thanks for your input!

To be continued...

Best regards,
  Seb