Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:28:28 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> (setq outline-regexp "[-\f]+")
>> so as to use - as the headline starter character in outline mode.
>> Switch to another buffer, enter the text
>>
>> - first heading
>> -- second heading
>>    some stuff here
>>
>> Activate org-mode. M-x org-mode.
>
> You should not do this.  org-mode lists start with a "-", using
> this character for headlines will just confuse things.
>
> Can't you live with the "*" as the headline character?
>
> My 2 cents,

Is there any particular reason for it to be hardcoded? Apart from the
fact that /well it just is this way right now/ I mean.
That'd be useful information for anyone interested in changing it. Then
you can still just tell them to write a patch if they care that much
('cause even in org-mode-land patches don't write themselves just yet)
[I just had the most awesome idea for a feature request].
If it's "just" about inheriting from a variable in some 300 places it
could at least be discussed.

--
Philipp Haselwarter