Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:56:39 +0200

Hi Philipp,

Philipp Haselwarter <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any particular reason for it to be hardcoded? Apart from the
> fact that /well it just is this way right now/ I mean.

Nothing carved in stone, but here are the two reasons I see:

- we don't want users to use arbitrary regexp to match headlines as they
  are very likely to shoot themselves in the foot (Harven's example of
  using "-" instead of "*" is a good example of that.)

- Given this, I am not able to imagine a good way of limiting the number
  of allowed characters.

> That'd be useful information for anyone interested in changing it.

I'd interested in any solution to the problems above.

> Then
> you can still just tell them to write a patch if they care that much
> ('cause even in org-mode-land patches don't write themselves just yet)

:)

> [I just had the most awesome idea for a feature request].

Please share!

> If it's "just" about inheriting from a variable in some 300 places it
> could at least be discussed.

Yep -- if you have the energy to go through the code and see where it is
hardcoded while it should not, please do.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien