Re: [O] patch makefile solve a couple debian build problems and a slackw

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] patch makefile solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:21:22 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jude,
>
> Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The latest patch by Achim Gratz works for this problem for make
> > install-info on debian squeeze.  The warning about using ginstall-info
> > comes up, but the documentation updates from 7.5 to 7.6 none the less.
>
> Thanks for confirming.
>
> Achim and Nick, can I safely apply your patch or was it still a beta
> version?

Achim's patch is different from mine (which might very well be wrong: I
was trying to divine what is happening without access to a system that
runs Debian or Slackware). I applied Achim's patch and it works on my
Ubuntu system (I get the same warning that this is GNU install-info, not
dpkg install-info that Jude gets, which is fine - if that's all that's
different, then we can document that).

However, I don't understand how changing the command affects other
systems: in particular OS X and/or Windows (as well as other Linux
distros and other Unixes), so I will plead "nolo contendere" here, but I
wouldn't apply it until people on those systems test it and report
success.

My worry is this: before Achim's patch, the "other" systems run the
following command:

        $(INSTALL_INFO) --info-file=$(INFOFILES) --info-dir=$(infodir)

I presume without trouble. After his patch, they run

        $(INSTALL_INFO) --infodir=$(infodir) $(INFOFILES)

Does the install-info on other systems really grok the --infodir option?
Isn't it just straight GNU install-info? What am I missing?

Nick