Re: [O] Makefile restructuring

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Makefile restructuring
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:54:15 +0200

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>> Okay - I'll follow that branch till the change becomes mature.
>
> I've set up the feature branch "Makefile" in my org-mode clone on
> repo.or.cz.  Assuming you already have orgmode.git cloned (it does not
> really matter where from), do a
>
> git remote add -t Makefile remote-tableheadings
> git://repo.or.cz/org-mode/org-tableheadings.git
> git fetch remote-tableheadings Makefile:local-Makefile
> git checkout local-Makefile
>
> to get it (change remote-tableheadings and local-Makefile to suit
> your naming conventions for remotes and local branches, respectively).
> I will be _rebasing_ against master during development, so expect
> history in this branch to be volatile.
>
> As always, testers and their comments are welcome.

Thanks a lot for this.

Here is some feedback:

I think the proliferation of *.mk files can confuse the user.
Can we try to reduce this to the maximum?

Ideally, there will be no *.mk file at all, just one Makefile
in which the maintainer can include a maint.mk file that will
only live on orgmode.org server (since we are releasing from
there.)

But maybe you're already heading in this direction, or my
suggestion goes against your goal.

Thanks for any answer!

Best,

--