Re: [O] [babel] using #+call for inline results

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] using #+call for inline results
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:32:31 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>
> Hi Eric!  ;-)
>
>> So the problem is that the results are inserted as a separate block,
>> when you want them to be inserted inline?  If so perhaps using an
>> "inline" block http://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-of-code-blocks.html
>> would result in the desired behavior.
>>
>> Please let me know if I've misunderstood the question.
>
> Yes and no.  I *do* want the effect that is achieved by using an inline
> block but I do *not* want to write the whole block inline

I find the following pattern

  #+source: big-block
  #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
    "something complex"
  #+end_src

  Here is some text with src_emacs-lisp[:var it=big-block]{it} in the
  middle.

to be helpful in these situations.

> as that can be difficult to do or, at the very best, hard to read even
> if possible... I would like to invoke/evaluate, inline, a particular
> source code block with a specific value of an argument.
>
> From the documentation, I don't see how to "call" a src block inline.
> That's why I thought of using =#+call=.  Am I missing something?

nope, there is no way to issue an in-line call, although maybe this
wouldn't be the worst idea if only for the added brevity over an inline
code block.

I'll put it on my long-term low-priority stack. :)

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/