[O] Re: Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)

From: Erik Hetzner
Subject: [O] Re: Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:30:10 -0700

At Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:47:46 +0800,
Le Wang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm fairly new to org-mode, and I only use it as an outliner / note
> taking tool.  It seems recipes, being a list of ingredients and a
> series of steps is a perfect match for org-mode.
>
> Out of the box, org already works pretty well for recipes, but I think
> there are some areas for improved integration around timers.  I'm not
> familiar with all the facilities of org-mode, maybe someone who uses
> org-mode for scientific experiments or something similar will have
> some hints.
>
> Is it possible to inline count-down timers in a cooking step?  For
> example "2. simmer sauce for 40 minutes on low heat.
> <start_timer_button>", so there is a button at the end of the line
> that starts a count-down timer.
>
> Many timers from different steps can be started simultaneously, and
> each timer should be able to be paused and restarted.  And there
> should be an easy way to get an overview of of all ongoing timers from
> the current document.
>
> Is it possible to hack this together using existing org functionality?

Hi,

This is only tangentially related, but I will bring it up anyhow.

First, I use org-mode to keep my recipes. Here is the format I use:

  * Molasses spice cookies
    :PROPERTIES:
    :source: Here in America’s test kitchen, p. 275.
    :END:
  Whisk together:

  - 2 1:4 cup ($11.25 oz$) flour
  - 1 tsp baking soda
  - 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  [...]

  Beat at med high until light and fluffy (~3 min):
  - 12 tbsp butter, softened
  - 1:2 cup sugar

and so on. I have some methods to convert units back & forth from
metric & narrow a recipe to ingredients only, though I think this is
probably not really useful. I would be happy to provide this if you
like.

I also keep a log of my home beer brewing. In it I use the relative
timer to keep track of what I actually do when brewing. For instance:

  0:00:00 Add to 1 gal 150 degF water:
  - 4 oz Roast malt
  - 8 oz British chocolate
  - 8 oz British crystal 50-60 degL
  - 8 oz flaked oats, toasted @ 300 degF for 30 min.
  0:56:18 Sparge w/ 1.5 gal @ 162 degF. Top off to 3 gal.
  1:40:18 Add 3 lb light LME.
  1:52:32 Boiling again, add 2 oz U.S. Goldings @ 4.5%
  2:37:21 Add 2.5 lb light LME
  2:47:10 Add whirlfloc, yeast nutrient
  3:02:00 Start cooling.
  3:57:20 Top off to 5.5 gal. Pitch 1 package S-04. Gravity: 1.040 @ 70 degF

Although this would probably be overkill for (most) cooking, if you
care enough about what you are cooking you can use a relative timer in
this way to remember when it was you last did something. It’s not
quite a timer, but setting up a countdown timer would be pretty easy,
I think.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.