Re: [O] Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:52:34 +0100

Hi,

On 3/24/11 12:47 PM, Le Wang wrote:
(...)
> Is it possible to inline count-down timers in a cooking step?  For
> example "2. simmer sauce for 40 minutes on low heat.
> <start_timer_button>", so there is a button at the end of the line
> that starts a count-down timer.
>
> Many timers from different steps can be started simultaneously, and
> each timer should be able to be paused and restarted.  And there
> should be an easy way to get an overview of of all ongoing timers from
> the current document.
>
> Is it possible to hack this together using existing org > functionality?

I don't think Org has built-in support for concurrent countdown timers. But you can fake this pretty well with org-timer, properties, column view, a dynamic block, and some lisp table formulas.

A ready-to-run example is attached, hopefully self-explanatory, probably buggy, and WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is a learning exercise for me.

Instead of using a start timer button (for which you could use an `elisp:' link, like the one I've put in to make it easy to stop the timer), you can write a hook to start countdowns when the TODO state changes. That rather hackish function is the only code here that's not out of the box.

Yours,
Christian