Re: [Orgmode] Re: Can I input multiline in a cell?

From: Wang Coeus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Can I input multiline in a cell?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:20:10 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Wang,
>
> Wang Coeus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Will org consider to support this in future?
>
> There is no plan for this right now.
>
> But what about cheating a bit and play with the _display_ of the table?
>
> | Header      | Header |
> |-------------+--------|
> | I want to   |        |
> | write stuff |        |
> | on several  |        |
> | lines       |        |
>
> You should be able to export this table to HTML or LaTeX and simulate a
> multiline cell on the first column.  Just a workaround, but could do in
> some situations.
>
> Also, note that you can shrink the cell length by adding <length>:
>
>      |---+------------------------------|               |---+--------|
>      |   |                              |               |   | <6>    |
>      | 1 | one                          |               | 1 | one    |
>      | 2 | two                          |     ----\     | 2 | two    |
>      | 3 | This is a long chunk of text |     ----/     | 3 | This=> |
>      | 4 | four                         |               | 4 | four   |
>      |---+------------------------------|               |---+--------|
>
> which helps having long text in a single-line cell.
>
> HTH,

Hi Bastien,
Really appreciate your help here. The reason I asked this question is
because I always feel it's too complicated to edit a table with
table.el. Your suggestion is good for me. :) But there are sometimes
also need to draw a table as below:
|-------+-------+----------------|
|       | HEAD2 | Item 1         |
|       +-------+----------------|
| HEAD1 |       | Item 2         |
|       |       | Item 3         |

For such a kind of situation, we only can implement with table.el,
right?

Really thanks for all your kind help. :)
--
Coeus
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.