Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Zotero for plain text (including org-mode)

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Zotero for plain text (including org-mode)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:19:21 +0100

On 12/20/10 12:52 AM, Erik Hetzner wrote:
At Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:27:32 +0100,
Christian Moe wrote:
I can insert a Zotero link with `C-c z i', but it's very touch and go
-- sometimes it's inserted, sometimes nothing happens, most of the
time I don't get a description part, and `C-c z u' doesn't necessarily
work, though sometimes it does.
(...)
So on a quick test drive, it's not as stable as I'd like. Otherwise, I
think zotero-plain could be a boon for Org-mode and Zotero users.
(...)

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback. mozrepl interaction is definitely
troublesome; my experience has not been as bad as yours, but there can
be problems.

I have changed zotero.el to reset the mozrepl process frequently; it
is a bit of a hack, but it seems to improve things a bit.T

I am hoping that using the recently announced zotero.org API for
citation generation will be more stable than using mozrepl.

best, Erik

Hi, Erik,

That's solved it for me. It still does not happen /every/ time I insert a Zotero link that the link is expanded with a full biblio description, but it happens most of the time, and for when it doesn't, `C-c z u' seems to work reliably now.

(Firefox taxes my old system a bit, and runs with frequent pauses, which may account for my having more trouble communicating with MozRepl than you're seeing. Looking forward to the API.)

One more issue I see is with Unicode characters. They are preserved when I command-shift-copy a reference from Zotero into an Org buffer (I have current-language-environment set to UTF-8). Org-zotero-mode does not preserve them. I've had a quick look at the code but haven't pinned it down why not.

I may have some more feedback in a week's time when I've cleared my Christmas deadlines, but for now, thanks for this!

Yours,
Christian