Re: [Orgmode] [For Worg?] Gnuplot unevenly spaced non-numeric data plot?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [For Worg?] Gnuplot unevenly spaced non-numeric data plot?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:44:48 -0500

Okay, bounced attempts with both .zip and tar. We'll try this instead... the "attached file" mentioned below is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/org-gnuplot-writeup.zip

-----
Sorry if this is a duplicate. My first attempt failed, perhaps due to the attached .zip? I'm trying .tar this time.

-----
Alright Nick, careful what you wish for :) For anyone else who could use this or do something with it:

- Over the weekend I figured out a bunch of stuff with gnuplot
- I modified what I found to make it generic and wrote it up in an org file
- The org file, resultant pics (eps), converted pngs, and exported html/pdf are in the attached .zip [edit: .tar] [edit: see link above]

Let me know if this can be useful for worg. There's really nothing new that can't be found, but it's tricky if you don't know what you're looking for. The attached is the result of lots of digging on my part and some excellent help from the mailing list. Included are gnuplot methods for:

- Setting axis titles with the #+PLOT method
- Getting better image quality via eps -> png from a previous mailing list discussion (thanks Eric & Eric)
- The use of the 'reset' command when using multiple gnuplot babel blocks in the same file
- Unevenly spaced names x-tics
- Multiple x-axis scales on the same graph
- Broken axis example from gnuplot-tricks

Again, this info exists elsewhere, but this might be very nice to have on worg. Perhaps this would serve as a nice primer for the beginner? I footnoted everywhere I could to the original sources of my information (mostly the mailing list and gnuplot-tricks blog).

Let me know if I can be of assistance with any edits if this is actually worg-candidate material. I have no idea what the standards are or how this works.

Thanks for all the help!
John

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sounds good. Where would I post the solution?  CLOSED: [2010-08-22 Sun 15:44]

I think the list is the proper place: if the question comes up again,
then it can be added to Worg.

Cheers,
Nick