[Orgmode] Re: [Patch] New implementation of the Org remember process rea

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Patch] New implementation of the Org remember process ready for comments and testing
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:21:56 +0200

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> ... it seems that with `org-protocol-capture' the place holders
>> `%:link', `%:description' and `%:initial' do not work anymore as they
>> are inserted literally. I must admit that I haven't looked at my
>> templates for a very long time and that those place holders may be
>> outdated, but with `org-protocol-remember' at least `%:description'
>> still works.
>
> Did those placeholders ever work through org-protocol?

I re-tried with `org-protocol-remember' and yes, all of the placeholders
work there.

> How exactly where they meant to work?

In exactly the way they are described in the documentation, e.g. at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-6_2.

My (remember) template looks like ...

--8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---

("URLs" ?u "* TODO %:description\n  (created: %U)\n\n  %c\n\n  %i"
"todo.org" bottom)

--8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---

> Did you convert your remember-templates before testing?
> Or did you just copy/rename your `org-remeber-templates' variable to
> `org-capture-templates'?

No, I used `org-capture-import-remember-templates' to get the initial
set of templates. All other templates work without problems.

> In the new variable `org-capture-templates', these placeholders are not
> guarantied to work (at least not documented).
>
> Use
>    %c - this will be a link to the page in your browser

%c is working as expected, i.e. it creates a link with the page title as
label. BTW, %x contains exactly the same and not (as I thought) the
selected text.

>    %i - this will be the selected text in your browser, if any. This is,
>         what `%:initial' was I guess.
>    %a - same as %c

Those two do not output anything.

Currently, I use a minimal template with more or less only %c. However,
it would be nice to have access to

- page title (w/o link)
- page URL
- selected text

Do you need some more information? Should I do some further testing?

Ulf