Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:57:37 +0200

On 13.04.2010 22:15, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Currently I'm using 6.33x, which is the version that comes with Emacs
> dev source code. I'll like to use a more recent version of org-mode, and
> so I ask if there are plans for upgrading Emacs' org-mode sources with
> the current release. If not, I'll use org-mode git sources, although
> this would complicate a bit the deployment across several machines.

AFAIK that happens whenever a new major version of emacs is released,
which is very infrequently.

Even if the next version of emacs would be just around the corner, you'd
just find yourself in the situation of using a very outdated version
again within a few weeks.

However, deployment across several machines can be easy with git. My
~/.emacs.d is a git repository which contains all my emacs configuration
and elisp library files. I have added org-mode as a submodule here, so
after running git pull && git submodule update on another machine,
everything is in sync again.

I use the org-babel approach to emacs configuration. In my startup.org,
the first toplevel subtree contains code that finds out what machine it
is running on by looking at the hostname and sets the variable
jb/system. I have one toplevel subtree for common configuration and two
for settings specific to one of my two machines.

- Jan