Re: [Orgmode] Embedding org-syntax in program source

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Embedding org-syntax in program source
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:31:40 -0400

LanX <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>     > I know of org-babel, but the code produced is no legal Lisp/Perl code
>     > anymore...
>
>     could you please elaborate,
>
>     I'm currently using Org-babel to write code in a variety of programming
>     languages, and I've had no problems running the tangled code.

Hi Rolf,

> Thats the point you have to tangle the code and furthermore you have to run
> emacs to tangle it.

Right. Given the present forum I presume you are using emacs, so that
shouldn't be a problem per se?

> The file as such is not a legal Perl code anymore because of lines starting
> with a "*".
> (never actually worked with babel, but thats what I read from the docs)

I think you may have formed an inaccurate idea of how people are working
with source code in org-mode. It's not just about creating code files
with a bunch of stars in them; it involves embedding source code in
fully-functioning org-mode files (i.e. with headings, tags, properties,
TODO items, tables, links, timestamps etc). So of course these files do
not contain "legal Perl code".

> And relying on an extra step for code generation is dangerous...

You would have to explain that assertion. I work on a number of projects
where the code files are generated by tangling, and I'm still here. Also
still here are people whose finished products require the extra step of
running make, latex, gcc compilation etc.

> This is for sure acceptable with elisp or multilanguage projects.

I didn't understand this.

[...]
> PS: I forgot to mention that when switching to other modes the highlighting
> will also get confused and fly-make will report plenty of syntax problems.

I'm not sure what you mean here. When working with code in org-mode, one
uses C-c ' to switch to a language major-mode buffer containing the body
of the source code block. Is that working OK for you?

Dan