Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:27:43 +0200

On Apr 14, 2010, at 12:37 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

Jan Böcker <address@hidden> writes:

On 13.04.2010 22:15, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
Currently I'm using 6.33x, which is the version that comes with Emacs dev source code. I'll like to use a more recent version of org- mode, and so I ask if there are plans for upgrading Emacs' org-mode sources with
the current release. If not, I'll use org-mode git sources, although
this would complicate a bit the deployment across several machines.

AFAIK that happens whenever a new major version of emacs is released,
which is very infrequently.

If this is the case, then should we start pushing new versions of
Org-mode to the Emacs development repository at every *Org-mode* version
bumb, rather than at every Emacs version bump?

In principle, this is the idea. Before 6.33 I pretty much pushed every Org-mode release to Emacs. At that point, Emacs went into feature freeze for another release
(23.2, I believe), and therefore I had to stop updating.

Now it is time to get back into this - but I have not done it due to time
constraints.  It is not trival to push our changes to Emacs.

- Emacs now uses bzr, which I am not familar with.  I have installed bzr
  and pulled the Emacs trunk onto my machine - but I still need to test
  if I can actually commit using that setup.
I wish Emacs had chosen git, because this is what I know reasonably well
  now, and because git is, from what I can tell, better.

- There are a lot of issues that need to be taken care of.
1. The Emacs developers regularly make global changes o all code in Emacs,
     to make use of new features or to implement new conventions.
I try to merge all these changes into my development version. Sometimes this is not possible, because the changes the Emacs developers introduce
     will not work for older versions of Emacs (like Emacs 21 or 22).
     Example: interactive-p and called-interactively.
2. Because I am not as good with version control as I would like to be handwork has to be done, and I have been burned in the past several times because my changes reverted some changes made inside Emacs. This is a
     psychological barrier for me to go ahead and make the next update.

Nevertheless, I am planning to update Emacs again - but I am not sure
exactly when I will find the time.

If there is a volunteer who is willing to take charge of the
synchronization with Emacs, this would be absolutely great.  But it
would have to be a dedicated and careful person, who is willing to
patiently work through the issues.

- Carsten

-- Eric