[Orgmode] Re: AI for orgmode

From: Łukasz Stelmach
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: AI for orgmode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:50:51 +0100

> On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Leo wrote:
>
>> Thinking about my own experience, I didn't feel the pain since I
>> gradually changing my org mode configuration over a few years. but I
>> could understand the frustration.
>
> I would be interested in a discussion on how to decrease the startup
> pain in a clever way.

I've always been a kind of a defeatist so take my words with a grain of
salt but...

People who use or are willing to use Emacs are by no means ordinary
users. The have their really own preferences and habits. They (like me)
even have their own visions of GTD, let alone other workflows. If they
choose org-mode it is because it is super-hyper-mega-customisable. With
great power comes great[1]... Software achieve gradual learning curve
(thus becoming available to ordinary users) by applying sane default
settings but there is no such thing for users I've just described. They
(with all due respect for everyone reading this) all are kind of insane
to use text editor as a PIM, aren't they (we)? Giving those people "sane
defaults" may only make some (most?) of them give up on org-mode as it
might suggest less flexibility than there actually is.

On the other hand I am going to try to convince some of my colleagues to
use it and they don't seem to be so weird as I am. I will probably take
my configuration weed out some really personal stuff and give them as
the "sane default".

These are of course only my 2 cents (Euro ones ;)

[1] http://xkcd.com/643/
--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach