[Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?

From: Rémi Vanicat
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:21:10 +0100

David Neu <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Anyone have any experience using Gnus with Gmail via IMAP?

I've a somewhat complicated setup for this.

It's server three purpose
- I want a copy of my mail locally for speed and backup
- I want my mail on gmail to been accessible from everywhere
- I want both to be synchronized

So I use offlineimap to have a local maildir that is a mirror of Gmail's
imap view of my mail. But gnus support of maildir is terrible, and I
want gnus because I want only one software for mail and news, and I'm
used to gnus.

So I use a local imap server (dovecot) to read my mail So:

gmail <--- offlineimap ---> maildir <--- dovecot ---> gnus

It is complicated, but I can read my mail from any computer, using
gnus+IMAP if it's one of my computer, and gmail webmail for the rest.

--
Rémi Vanicat