[Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:38:20 +0100

Dan Davison wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> NOW is the time to chime in.
>
> I don't know if this is helpful from someone who hasn't thought through the
> details of beamer support but just in case: is there any chance that we
> should be thinking at this stage of a generic org-presentation API which
> would initially support just beamer but which would leave open the
> possibility for others to implement other slide presentation engines? For
> example I remember that someone once brought up the possibility on this list
> of exporting org to OpenOffice presentation format. And it's possible to
> create something like a slide-show in HTML/CSS -- although I never see
> anyone doing it. There are at least some things in common between different
> slide-show engines, such as where to break from slide to slide, slide
> titles, non-slide notes, etc.

I have absolutely no experience with other "slide" engines in LaTeX. But I
think (as well) it's a good time to think at commonalities between these, so
that one extract the right model, even if we only support Beamer (which I
think is the best) in the first place, and maybe for ever. But it would maybe
ensure we ask ourselves the right questions.

I just know ('ve seen it) that Russell Adams (hep! ;-)) uses Prosper, one of
the old alternatives, before Beamer came on the "market". Maybe he could tell
us some interesting things about this planned construction?

> Also, I do agree with others that to the extent possible we want
> presentations to emerge naturally out of 'normal' org-files

Yes, I do have the same concern. An Org file for Beamer or a standard Org file
should have almost no differences -- except for the class. I think it's even
possible for small and standard slides show that there would be no difference
at all, except once again the length of sentence and the numerous headlines.

At least, the Beamer Org file would be the first mind map, or the skeleton, of
a real-document, would it outgrow from slides to document.

> with the help of established org mechanisms such as selective subtree
> export. E.g. using the heading title to set the column width feels wrong;
> the natural reaction is to think that that sort of metadata should be in a
> property.

I don't know which exact representation it should have, but I'm puzzled by
headlines setting the width of columns, too.

Best regards,
  Fabrice Niessen

--
Sébastien Vauban