Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:40:39 -0500

<...>
> On Nov 26, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

<...>
>> NOW is the time to chime in.

I don't know if this is helpful from someone who hasn't thought through
the details of beamer support but just in case: is there any chance that
we should be thinking at this stage of a generic org-presentation API
which would initially support just beamer but which would leave open the
possibility for others to implement other slide presentation engines?
For example I remember that someone once brought up the possibility on
this list of exporting org to OpenOffice presentation format. And it's
possible to create something like a slide-show in HTML/CSS -- although I
never see anyone doing it. There are at least some things in common
between different slide-show engines, such as where to break from slide
to slide, slide titles, non-slide notes, etc.

Also, I do agree with others that to the extent possible we want
presentations to emerge naturally out of 'normal' org-files with the
help of established org mechanisms such as selective subtree
export. E.g. using the heading title to set the column width feels
wrong; the natural reaction is to think that that sort of metadata
should be in a property.

Dan