Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-indent-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-indent-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:28:11 +0100

On Nov 20, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Matt Price wrote:

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:33 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

Visual-line-mode is a replacement for longlines-mode; it soft-wraps
text at the screen boundary, and does a much better job than
longlines-mode did.

I think you're confused by a (helpful) conflation.

The ‘visual-lines-mode’ is indeed a replacement for ‘longlines-mode’,
but its job is to cause editing commands to act on visual, rather than
logical lines.

The wrapping behaviour you're describing is performed by ‘word- wrap’, a
buffer-local variable that cuases lines to be visually broken at word
boundaries.

The ‘word-wrap’ variable is set by ‘visual-lines-mode’, which is why
you're seeing it happen. But ‘word-wrap’ is independent of this.

that's very helpful.  but see below...

Is that what you needed? I'm not sure where the code for
visual-line-mode lives -- there isn't a visual-line.el anywhere that i
can find on my system.

Fortunately, ‘visual-line-mode’ appears to be a distraction from what
you're describing; Carsten only needs to learn about ‘word-wrap’.

would you expect then that i should see the same difficulty if I
evaluate '(word-wrap 1) in a buffer using org-indent-mode? Because when I do that, the wrapping seems to occur as expected and, importantly, the indentation level is preserved too. So to my extremely unpracticed eye it seems that visual-lines-mode does something to the wrapping behaviour
that makes problems for org-mode.

Does anyone else use visual-=line-mode with org? I'm sort of surprised no one would -- it seems a completely obvious choice to me and it may be
that I'm just missing something about optimum work flows or similar.

Hi Matt,

personally, I never use visual-line-mode, mainly because cursor motion becomes unpredictable to me (down doe not get me into the next line, so for example keyboard macros are much harder to make to consistently).

That said, I would expect that what you are describing should work, and my memory is also that it used to work - after all, I implemented not only line-prefix, but also wrap-prefix in org-indent-mode. I am quite sure that this used to work.

I am not sure how to proceed. Someone would have to bisect Emacs to find which commit changed this behavior. Or maybe at lease someone can try with a vanilla 23.1 Emacs? If it works there, we might have enough to file a bug report.

- Carsten

- Carsten

Anyway, thanks again,
Matt