Re: [Orgmode] org-agenda-file-to-front (unbalanced parentheses))))

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-agenda-file-to-front (unbalanced parentheses))))
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:38:28 +0800

Hi Jai,

Jai Jeffryes <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for looking at my message. So, here's what I came up with by following
> the instructions on the Feedback page you suggested.

Thanks!

> 1. Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-07-29 on
> SOFT-MJASON
> 2. Org version (it came with my Emacs install, I didn't do a separate
> installation of the mode):
> Org-mode version 6.21b
> 3. (Even though I'm writing to this email list, I was curious to try the
> command M-x org-submit-bug-report. That command is not defined in my Emacs.)
> 4. Here are the org-related commands in my init file. I found out how to set
> up
> my agenda files there instead of relying on the command that I'm demonstrating
> now.
>
> ;; Org mode
> (require 'org)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
> (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (setq org-log-done t)
> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "WAITING" "DONE"))
> (setq org-agenda-include-diary t)
> (setq org-agenda-include-all-todo t)
> (setq org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "J:/MyDocuments/GTD/org/*.org"))

Try to comment out the line above and use the custom interface to set
your agenda files.  See if the error persists.

> 4. Creating a backtrace. The command C-u M-x org-reload RET does not exist on
> my Emacs.
> 5. I turned on the option to enter the debugger.
> 6. I visited a new file called sample.org. I didn't put it in the directory
> specified for agenda files in my init file (listed above). I wanted to add it
> interactively for this demo.
> 7. I saved that file.
> 8. I selected from the menu: Org --> File List for Agenda --> Add/Move Current
> File to Front of List
> 9. Here is the output from the *Backtrace* buffer.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (scan-error "Unbalanced parentheses" 17301
> 29246)
>   scan-sexps(83 29245)
>   forward-sexp(29245)
>   custom-save-delete(custom-set-variables)
>   custom-save-variables()
>   custom-save-all()
>   customize-save-variable(org-agenda-files ("j:/MyDocuments/GTD/sample.org"
> "j:
> /MyDocuments/GTD/org/GTDSteelWig.org" "j:/MyDocuments/GTD/org/
> SteelWigSomeday.org"))
>   org-store-new-agenda-file-list(("j:/MyDocuments/GTD/sample.org" "j:/
> MyDocuments/GTD/org/GTDSteelWig.org" "j:/MyDocuments/GTD/org/
> SteelWigSomeday.org"))
>   org-agenda-file-to-front(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-agenda-file-to-front nil nil)
>
> I don't know Lisp, but I can count parentheses (or use Emacs to tell me what
> they match up with by backspacing over a right one and filling it back in
> again.) I don't see unbalanced parentheses in that output.

Maybe the unbalanced parentheses are in the custom-file, not in the
output.  Is your custom-file eval'ing correctly?

Dynamically adding or removing files from the org-agenda-files variable
stores this variable in the custom file, even if you are setting this
variable outside the custom file.  So, if you use C-c [ frequently, you
shouldn't set org-agenda-files outside of the custom-file.

Maybe the documentation should warn the user about this problem.  I
don't see any simple solution...

--
 Bastien